Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Wiki Conference India 2016

I am back in Dhaka after attending Wiki Conference India 2016 happened in Chandigarh City of India. It was a three days conference and I received a scholarship from Wikimedia Foundation to attend it. The venue was Chandigarh Group of Colleges. It has a large, nice campus and I really loved the hospitality of the organizers. It was a significant experience for me for acquiring knowledge and meeting fellow wikimedians from many parts of the world. I got the opportunity to meet Katherine Maher, Executive Director of Wikimedia Foundation along with many other important people from Wikimedia Foundation.

Bangla Wikipedians with Katherine Maher(Me first from left).

Female Wikipedians from Bangladesh with Katherine Maher ( Me second from Right)


Some significant sessions that I attended are the Wiki Data session with Asaf Bartov, Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities, Wikimedia Foundation. I was a big learning session for me. Also, I liked the photography session conducted by Zack.
Wikidata Session with Asaf Bartov

During cultural Show presented by students of Chandigarh Group of Colleges

Bangla Wikipedians meet-up during Wiki Conference India 2016
We arranged a meet up for Bangla Wikipedia Community from Bangladesh and West Bengal of India. The discussion was on works needed to be done to improve Bangla Wikipedia. Also we organized another session that included wikipedians from South East Asia to improve networking. We took a plan to collaborate the female wikipedians from South-East Asia in a common platform.

Some important outcomes from this conference for me and other wikipedians from Bangladesh were:
  • Taking initiative to collaborate wikimedians from South-East Asia. 
  • Taking initiative to collaborate female wikimedians from South-East Asia and ensure more participation of women from South-East Asia as currently they are not notable in number. 

No comments:

Post a Comment